Saturday, July 18, 2020

Podcast S1 E7: Ignorance is Bliss!!

Hi it's so good to welcome you back to Lost in Labyrinth. And a warm hello to the new listeners!

Recently I came across something that just caught my attention,            the Dork Day observed on July 15th every year. Upon researching, I found there is no documented origin of the day but this day encourages us to celebrate our imperfections, by doing things " dorky" ! There is no need to be prim or proper, but a day to completely disregard norms or what others think is acceptable. A day to celebrate being clumsy, goofy, a social misfit! I certainly have some ideas!!       Do you have any secret desire to do something you always wanted to do but the societal norms got the better of you?? 

Taking this a step further have you ever enjoyed being silly or ignorant?Will love to hear some of your stories.

Recounting my childhood days, I have literally thanked God, still do, for being ignorant. Talking about the summers of 2001, not every home had internet and I wasn't into reading newspapers and all. I had given my class Xth boards and was having the time of my life, reading Sidney Sheldons by the day and playing and catching up with friends in the evening- basically idling and goofing around. Our dot phone was out of order for a couple of days- not that I cared, but its been some days since I last spoke with my school friends! One afternoon just as I was about to sit for lunch, my grandfather came calling, asking how did I fare in my Boards? To tell you honestly, I didn't think about the results or exams the minute after I submitted my last answer sheet. And suddenly out of no where the results were out! I was made to finish my food and I then went to my school, which was just a stone throw away! I had passed with distinction and just like that the first milestone of student's life was accomplished! It breaks my heart to see the pressure, the anxiety, the stress little kids now endure in anticipation of their results. Drawing a parallel to the two scenarios, I found my bliss in being ignorant! I could truly enjoy, my result in its true essence in that moment, without the paraphernalia leading to it, which has surprisingly become an accepted norm these days. 

US and Russia have always been at loggerheads. In early 1960s, there was a conflict over Russian missiles in Cuba. The Russians conceded to moving their missiles as long as US moved their installations from Turkey. US under the leadership JFK, was unaware about any of their installations in Turkey were simply told that Russians were made to back down from Cuba. Much alike Russians who said Americans were forced to remove their missiles from Turkey under the great Russian leadership! The public being none the wiser!! 

Some people consider ignorance and stupidity to be synonymous. And hence the word / the adjective is frowned upon. Ever heard anyone state being ignorant as a weakness while giving an interview?

Now consider this, a child enjoys his trip to Disney Land without a worry of the money spent on the trip. Or would you be able to enjoy the slice of that decadent chocolate cake knowing each slice has roughly 450 calories? While knowledge is Power, ignorance sometimes leads you to that unblemished joy of the moment!! Ignorance, simply put, is just a lack of knowledge. Which can be acquired over the time with an intent. On a positive side, being ignorant gives you a pursuit to learn something. It is that blessing in disguise that provides you with the urge to try something new; which eventually most of us do knowing there is something we are unaware of. Even the Major Arcana Fool's card in Tarot depicts a youth joyfully undertaking his journey. It is a card that signifies infinite potential, new beginnings filled with optimism and freedom from the usual constraints of life. He inspires courage for he understands that everyday is a chance to open up new areas in your life and with that comes a mixture of anticipation, wonder, awe and curiosity. Just the lens we need to see our ignorance with.

So next time don't be ashamed if you are caught unaware about something. Enjoy the bliss of the moment and gear up to embark on an adventurous journey! Afterall it is said,

"To admit ignorance is the highest knowledge. It is the highest condition for all learning."

So my dear dorks, enjoy yourself but never stop learning! And yeah have a great weekend!
Goodbye!

 

No comments: